Our school aims to inspire all children to develop a love of art. Through an inspirational art curriculum, we expect children to become confident, resilient and independent learners who strive for ambition.
Our Art curriculum is carefully designed to enable children to progressively develop and embed their knowledge and skills. Our primary focus for art embeds the skills needed for drawing, painting and use of sculpture, which are taught at the same time across the school. This shows clear progression of the skills that have been taught and how skills are applied and reinforced.
Blackhall Primary School is in close proximity to coastal areas (with a wealth of maritime history), nature reserves, bombing shelters and former mining communities. In addition, a wealth of inspirational and local leading artists, have helped underpin our art curriculum and helped raise aspirations. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation and local area.
As part of our school moto, we strongly believe that pupils will Enjoy, Inspire and Achieve through the implementation of our extensive art curriculum.
Art in the EYFS
Through Expressive Arts children are encouraged to explore different media, explore how media can be combined to create different effects and develop a range of skills and techniques experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function. Children are given daily access to a range of creative opportunities and enjoy our carefully planned and well resourced creative areas both indoors and out. Children are encouraged to create on both small and large scales and our outdoor environment supports this well. Children are encouraged to develop their communication and language skills through talking about their creations and sharing these with others to build confidence and raise self-esteem.
Art in KS1 & KS2
Our Art curriculum is designed:
- to enable our children to become respectful and successful adults in terms of being able to find employment in the future
- to provide a relevant, progressive and well-structured Art curriculum which enables children to develop and master a broad knowledge and wide range of skills
Our Art curriculum is structured providing for each key stage and year group:
- A clear list of end points
- Progressive knowledge and skills which will shape children as artists
- A clear list of vocabulary both appropriate to Art and progressive through the key stages
- Provide a variety of enrichment opportunities including visitors into school and visits to different places
Documents relating to our Art curriculum can be found below:
Documents outlining what will be covered in each year group can be found below: