It is our vision that studying a foreign language will open pupils up to a variety of cultures and helps to foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world.
Blackhall Primary School understands that learning a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. It will also create potential opportunities in the future for studying and working abroad.
In September 2020, we began teaching French. Previous to this Spanish was taught. Therefore our long term plan shows a gradual introduction of units year on year.
Pupils will begin to learn French on entry to Key Stage Two. They will begin by finding out where French is spoken before listening carefully to language, repeating what they hear, showing understanding and responding to what they have heard. As children progress they will begin to link words together into short phrases and eventually grammatically correct sentences.
Children will begin to read and write single words in French before progressing to longer pieces of text. They will learn to use dictionaries to decipher the meaning of new words within familiar texts and will adapt model texts to write sentences in French of their own. Children will regularly recap core vocabulary through songs, rhymes, practical activities and games. This core vocabulary will be revisited and built upon throughout the units they encounter. Children will enjoy stories, rhymes and songs in French as we recognise these are a key method of engaging children and supporting them to remember new vocabulary.
French in KS2
Our MFL curriculum is designed:
- to enable our children to become independent, respectful and successful adults in terms of being able to find employment in the future
- to provide a relevant, progressive and well-structured MFL curriculum which enables children to develop and master a broad knowledge and wide range of skills
Our MFL curriculum is structured providing for each key stage and year group:
- A clear list of end points
- Progressive knowledge and skills which will shape children as linguists
- A clear list of vocabulary both appropriate to MFL and progressive through the key stages
- Provide a variety of enrichment opportunities including visitors into school and visits to different places
Documents relating to our French curriculum can be found below:
Documents outlining what will be covered in each year group can be found below: