Our school aims to inspire all children to develop a love of physical activity and sport. Through good physical education, whole school values and a whole child approach, we aim to nurture confident, resilient children who will strive for their personal best.
Our PE lessons are planned using the Get Set 4 PE platform, which aligns with our core values, our whole child approach to PE and the objectives laid out in the National Curriculum. Get Set 4 PE is planned so that progression is built into the scheme which ensures our children are increasingly challenged as they move up through the school.
Physical Education in the EYFS
The Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and carefully planned provision are designed to support children’s physical development. We offer daily playful opportunities for children to engage in physical activity both in and outdoors. Our children have access to free flow play for sustained periods of time and are encouraged to use our outdoor environment including our forest school, mud kitchen, play equipment and large sandpit. We access this environment all year round and in all weather conditions to support the development of gross and fine motor control, balance, coordination, confidence and problem solving skills. We explore relaxation techniques and share a range of healthy snacks to develop our understanding of the importance of a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
What does PE look like in the EYFS?
Physical Education in KS1 & KS2
Our PE curriculum is designed:
- to enable our children to become respectful and successful adults in terms of being able to find employment in the future, to maintain healthy lifestyles and to be moral citizens
- to provide a relevant, progressive and well-structured PE curriculum which enables children to develop and master a broad knowledge and wide range of skills
Our PE curriculum is structured providing for each key stage and year group:
- A clear list of end points
- Progressive knowledge and skills which will allow children to lead a healthy lifestyle
- A clear list of vocabulary both appropriate to PE and progressive through the key stages
- Provide a variety of enrichment opportunities including visitors into school, visits to different places and sporting competitions
- Access to specialised coaches
Documents relating to our Physical Education curriculum can be found below:
Documents outlining what will be covered in each year group can be found below: