At Blackhall Primary School, we have made a commitment to supporting Young Carers within our school community. We believe that Young Carers are young people first and carers second.
They have the same rights as all other children and young people and should have access to the same facilities, services and support that is available to other young people across the school. However, young people who are also carers have other needs, which we pledge to support in the following ways:
- We do not make assumptions about what young people need, but will listen to what young carers tell us about their lives and support them to play a full part in life, as well as support them in their caring role.
- We encourage young people to tell us that they have a caring role and will support those who come forward.
- We can identify young people in our school who have told us they are young carers.
- Mrs Baker is responsible for ensuring that young carers in our school are supported and able to access help.
- Young people have helped us design a policy showing how our school will support young carers. This policy can be viewed on our school website.
- We are working to ensure that all our policies are designed taking into consideration and giving recognition to what young people do in their caring role.
- We ensure that everything young people tell us about their caring responsibilities stays private and confidential unless we have their permission to share, they are unsafe or at risk of harm.
- We make arrangements for all our staff, who may come into contact with young people who are carers, to be aware of the issues and also be aware of any special arrangements in place.
- We try to make sure that young carers can be contacted or make contact with people they are caring for.
- We agree arrangements with individual young people based on their personal circumstances, which recognises that they may have to arrive late or leave early but also ensures that we know where they are and that they are safe.
- When young carers need extra help and support we will help find this extra help and check with them how it has gone.
- We will work with other organisations to support young carers and their family including contributing to assessments where appropriate.
- We will speak on behalf of young carers to help people understand what young carers do.
If you would like any more information about our commitment to supporting young carers or if there is someone in your family fulfilling a caring role please ask to speak to Mrs Leonard.